Tuesday, August 13, 2013

First World Problems


The image I used on the left side of this piece is my Facebook profile picture. As of this article's publishing date, anyway.

In a recent conversation, the phrase "performance of self" was applied to social networks and media. Thanks Taylor, I couldn't have said it better myself. 

This piece pays a lot of attention to identity.

"As well it should!" cries the ego. 

What is the function of identity? Better yet, what are the redeeming attributes of identity? On the surface, identity's sole function is to serve the ego. And bring you down, sister.

"As well it should!" cries the ego. 

The skull image on the right side works as a symbol for what is inside us all. It represents our being without flesh, personality, individuality. It represents our essence.

In my mind, this piece is an observation, reflection, and exercise in maintaining perspective. 






No comments:

Post a Comment